These chocolate cherry cupcakes are one of the best spring desserts! So rich, fruity, chocolatey, and delicious! Surprise your family or friends with this cherry dessert for the weekend – they will love it! It is ideal for those who adore the combination of fruit and chocolate. You will need 20 minutes to prepare it plus 20 minutes to cook – simple and quick! Here is the recipe:
Servings 20 cupcakes
For the cupcakes:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- A pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup regular cherry preserves or black cherry preserves
For the frosting:
- 3 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/3 cup regular cherry preserves or black cherry preserves
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C/Gas Mark 4. Line 12 muffin cups with paper liners. Leave aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together the sugar, butter, and oil until fluffy. Apply the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Pour in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, using a whisk, combine the cocoa powder, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually apply the flour mix to the butter mix alternating with the milk, start and end with the flour mix. Whisk until well incorporated.
- Apply 2 tablespoons batter into the paper lined muffin pans. Place in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until a tester inserted into the middle comes out with just a few dry crumbs. Then, remove the cupcakes immediately from pans – let cool completely on a wire rack. In the meantime, prepare the frosting.
To make the frosting:
- Using an electric mixer, on medium speed, whisk butter until fluffy. Bit by bit, whisk in powdered sugar and mix until light and fluffy. Add in cream until mixture reaches spreading consistency. Add in the cherry preserves.
- If your frosting gets very loose or curdled looking, apply more powdered sugar, one tablespoon at a time, just till the mixture comes together once again.
- To finish the cupcakes, use a sharp knife to cut a small well in the top center of each cupcake. Next, fill with cherry preserves and replace the top portion of each cupcake; top with frosting and decorate with fresh cherries dipped in chocolate (optional).