This cake with water (without milk, butter, and eggs) recipe comes from my nonna Angela notebook with recipes. The Torta all’acqua senza uoava, latte e burro recipe is so old but it tastes so good that I made it twice in 3 days. When me and my cousins were little she was preparing this quick cake for us each time when we wanted to eat something sweet. Here is the recipe:
- 200 grams’ all-purpose flour
- 30 grams unsweetened cocoa powder
- 120 grams’ sugar
- 40 grams’ vegetable oil
- 200 ml spring water
- A pinch of salt
- 5 g white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Confectioner’s sugar/chocolate sauce/whipped topping – to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, sugar, salt, baking soda, vegetable oil, and vinegar. Pour the water and mix with a hand whip until well incorporated. (you can also do this in a food processor or blender).
- Cover a 22 cm mold/pan with baking paper. Pour the mixture into the pan and bake the cake for 17-20 minutes (or until an inserted tester comes out clean). Remove from the oven and let it cool in the pan well before slicing (about 10-15 minutes).
- You can decorate with confectioner’s sugar, chocolate sauce, or whipped topping (if desired).