This banana caramel cream dessert is one of the most creamy and silky treats that I’ve ever tried. Creamy homemade pastry cream, whipped cream, caramel, and a graham cracker crumble!
- Vanilla Pastry Cream (below you can find the recipe)
- Bananas (I used 3 medium bananas for 7 small dessert servings)
- Good quality caramel sauce, or dulce de leche.
- Fresh whipped cream (I used 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 tablespoon powdered sugar)
- Graham Cracker crumble (you can find the recipe below)
For the Vanilla Pastry Cream:
- 2/3 cup sugar (can be reduced to 1/2 cup if you prefer desserts less sweet)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract and 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste)
For the Graham Cracker Crumble:
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs (about 10 full sized crackers)
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
To Make the Pastry Cream:
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs with a fork to combine. Set aside.
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, and salt in a medium saucepan. Gradually pour in milk, while whisking, to make a smooth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring almost constantly until the mixture thickens and boils. Continue to cook and stir one minute.
- Pour several tablespoons of the hot mixture into the bowl with the eggs and immediately stir well. Pour warmed egg mixture into the pan with the rest of the hot milk mixture. Return to a slow boil, and cook one minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla. Set aside to cool. When the pan has cooled, place in the refrigerator to fully cool. If desired, lay a piece of plastic wrap on the top surface of the pastry cream to prevent a skin from forming.
To make the Graham Cracker Crumble:
- Crush crackers in a large ziplock type bag. Pour crumbs, sugar and melted butter into a bowl and, stir until fully combined. Pour into a 9″x13″ casserole dish and press into an evenBake at 350F/177C/Gas Mark 4, for 10-12 minutes, until light brown. Allow cooling.
To assemble the dessert:
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons graham cracker crumble into individual serving dishes. Use a small glass to press the crumble into a firm layer (as pictured below).
- Add a layer of pastry cream into each dish. For easy assembly, fill a large ziplock type bag with the pastry cream, snip off the end and fill the dishes with this bag.
- Add a few slices of banana.
- Top bananas with a layer of whipped cream.
- Add some graham cracker crumble and a drizzle of caramel (scoop caramel or dulce de leche into a small ziplock bag and snip off the end for easy application).
- Repeat layers 2-5
- Serve immediately or refrigerate up to 3 hours. Top with a slice of fresh banana just before serving.
I used 6 small dessert dishes. If you make 6 desserts, you may have pastry cream and graham cracker crumbles left over. If you want to make more desserts or one large trifle dish, you will have enough pastry cream and graham cracker crumble for 10-12 individual desserts. For a large trifle or more than 6 individual desserts I would double the amount of whipped cream listed above.
Replacements: The recipes posted above are what I used if you’d like to experiment with substitutions, such as using prepared pudding mix in place of the pastry cream, or cool whip in place of the whipped cream, feel free, but I can’t attest to the results.
If you liked our article, please like our Facebook Page.